Sunday 12 June 2016

WELCOME!

Cartoon image of Aleasha

If you are here you have been invited to join The Handless Project Blog.

Here, on this site, you will be able  keep up to date with the project and how it is progressing.

I should confess that you would have had access to this much earlier, but the demon of perfectionism reared it's ugly head and I found myself obsessing over the look of the site and not over  the contact that it would bring. I think it was just fear so I'm happy to learn from it. I may still tweak around the edges for a while, but I hope not too distractingly (tell me if it is).

Expect to see: images, sounds, music and spoken word creations; musings from Aleasha about how the project is impacting her and those she meets; other people’s work that is inspired by or is inspirational to the project; links to the online work that is being made; and maybe some special gifts every now and again.

Feel free to share the blog but, it would be great if this site increases one person at a time. sharing it with small number of people who might be interested rather than a public share is preferable. This is a safe space to talk and I trust everyone here to make it feel that way. Please comment on posts and share anything you think is related to or might help the project or fellow blog readers. I can’t wait to see what this might turn into.

If you are new here I should let you know what the project is about. I am researching the fairy tale The Handless Maiden. It is a very old story and versions of it exist around the world. In all of them a young girl loses one or both of her hands because of a bad decision made by another member of her family. She then travels alone in wild places and eventually regains her life and her hands as a result.

The Handless Project is a deliberate attempt to see if the wisdom contained in the fairytale has any relevance to modern life in general and my life in particular. Here on the blog I will let you know when I discover something, whether that be an insight or an event that relates to the story.

If you want to read a version of the tale there are several here on the Sur La Lune website, including both the first version I read as a child (Grimms' version) and my personal favourite, the Italian tale Biancabella and the Snake.


AX

First share: a link to a Flickr Gallery with images from the project including some of the handwashing ritual at the Anglican Cathedral on Light Night. https://www.flickr.com/gp/83496384@N06/5K78Uf.

No comments:

Post a Comment